Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Ken Jeong 'desperate' to host Oscars

SCREEN CAPTURE
Ken Jeong and Kevin Hart teamed up to present an award at the 2016 Golden Globes awards show. The two comedians were costars in 'Ride Along 2.'
KEN JEONG has made it abundantly clear that he wants to host the Academy Awards next year after Kevin Hart, who was previously tabbed to do the emcee duties, was let go.

"In my opinion, if I don’t get the host of the Oscars — like divorce — I would consider myself a failure," Jeong joked as a guest on The View Tuesday (Dec. 11). "It's so important to me. I have to do this."

I'm not sure if Jeong's quest to host the movie industry's most prestigious awards show is half in jest or it's a serious  lobbying effort, but it certainly earning the comedian/actor a lot of press. As one of stars of the hit movie Crazy Rich Asians, Jeong has been highly visible as the movie continues to receive accolades since its August premiere.

The View's Whoopi Goldberg endorsed the idea and took Jeong's dream to The Late Show later that day. Late Show host Stephen Colbert asked Goldberg if she had been asked to host the awards show.

"I want Ken to do it," she said about Jeong. "He would be brilliant. He would also constitute the first Asian American to host the Oscars. It would be a whole series of firsts and he also loves film and I think that's what you need in a host."

"You need somebody who actually gets why films are great and can tell you the ins and outs and the silliness of movies," she continued.

Variety included Jeong as a possible replacement for Hart along with a list of other celebrities including Ellen DeGenrous, who hosted the show once before. Jeong's CRA costar Awkwafina was also on the list.

SCREEN CAPTURE / NBC
Ken Jeong explains to Seth Meyers why he should host the Oscars.

Striking while the iron was hot, Jeong repeated his quest as a guest on Late Night where he explained to host Seth Meyers why he wanted to pursue what some might consider a long-shot.
"I was always taught when you set goals, make sure you keep them very high," said Jeong. "If I do not become the host of the Oscars, I will consider not only my career, but my life, a failure."
"Any goal that's out of your control, that doesn't really make sense whether you do it or not, I want it so bad," he continued.
Meyers then asked if Jeong is worried that his determination to host the ceremony might make him come off as desperate. "My whole career is desperate," he joked. "That is my brand. I came out of the womb as like, 'Hello!'"
_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment