Monday, November 12, 2018

Olympic speed skating medalist retires

J.R. CELSKI

ASAM NEWS

THREE-TIME OLYMPIC MEDALIST J.R.Celski is hanging up his skates.

The short track speed skater who has been a mainstay on the U.S. Winter Olympic Team since 2010 announced his retirement Wednesday.

“I’m hanging them up for good.,” Celski wrote on his website. “I always wanted my story to be one of inspiration. I’ve had a great run, and I’m thankful that I’ve gotten to share my story.”

The Filipino American won a pair of bronze medals at the 2010 games and a silver in 2014. He also earned three gold medals at the World Championships.

“There were several instances of success and reaching new heights, where I felt like I was on top of the world,” he wrote. “Everything felt right and the energy was flowing at an unimaginable rate. I appreciated these moments because I knew the amount of work I had put in to get there.

“Short Track tested my limits and challenged my existence. Speed, power, agility, endurance, balance, strategy, patience, awareness, risk, trust. Defying the laws of gravity and setting up passes at the same time. All of this while wearing a skin tight suit. What more could you ask for?”

No comments:

Post a Comment