Friday, June 29, 2018

TGIF FEATURE: Nico Santos on being gay on 'Superstore' & 'Crazy Rich Asians'



CHARMING AUDIENCES with his sarcastic wit and outrageous sensibility, Nico Santos has that rare ability to be crass and snarky while at the same time remaining completely likable.

That sort of describes the character he plays as Mateo, and undocumented, queer, Filipino American, in NBC's hit comedy Superstore. Santos will play Oliver in Crazy Rich Asians

"The fact that I get to play a queer Filipino on television and another queer character in Crazy Rich Asians is huge. I never thought I’d have a career being myself," quipped Santos in an interview with Huffington Post.



The Filipino American comedian was asked if he felt there was any extra pressure for Crazy Rich Asians to be successful.

"I do hope that Crazy Rich Asians leads to more work because I do want to expand what I’m doing out there. I mean, I try not to think, like, “Ugh, if Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t do well, then they’ll never make another Asian movie ever again.” I really hope that’s not the case. I hope the industry doesn’t see this as the one shot we get. We should be making these kinds of movies and telling these kinds of stories. There should be five more movies coming out this year that are just like Crazy Rich Asians and five more movies just like Black Panther.”

Listen to this interview about his role in Superstore, and what it was like working with an all-Asian cast and largely Asan crew in the upcoming movie Crazy Rich Asians.
________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment