Sunday, April 22, 2018

'Throwin' Samoan' pitches a no-hitter

SCREEN CAPTURE
Sean Manaea exults after the last out of his no-hitter against the Boston Red Sox.

THE BEST SAMOAN/AMERICAN pitcher in major league baseball just pitched a no-hitter Saturday night.

To tell the truth, Sean Manaea is the ONLY Samoan/American pitching in pro-baseball today, but after yesterday's (April 21) would be hard not to make the claim that he's the best. 



In the best game in his short career, Manaea, the 'Throwin' Samoan" pitched a magnificent no-hitter against the Boston Red Sox, one of the hottest-hitting teams in baseball.

“I watched it over and over,” said the Oakland A's pitcher. “It was pretty cool, I’m not going to lie about that.” He told reporters that he hasn't slept since after a 3-0 win and the 12th no-hitter in the Athletics' franchise history.

There were no tears, Manaea said, but his parents were “super, super happy. Like me, they couldn’t get the smile off their face. It was a pretty awesome moment.”


Only an error in the fifth inning kept Manaea's from attaining a perfect game. It was a popup in short center field over the shorstop's head.

A's shortstop Marcus Semien dropped it as he ran, his back to the diamond. The official scorer ruled it an error, but Manea thought it was a hit. It wasn't until the eighth inning did the picther realize he still had a no-hitter going. That's when he got nervous and adrenanlin kicked in.

"I know there are not that many baseball players that are of Samoan descent. In Polynesia I know there's a bunch of Hawaiian players and some Tongan players, but it's just really cool knowing that I'm kind of unique, knowing where I came from, knowing my heritage, knowing my family. It reminds me every day of how to carry about my business, just to think of my family and what would make them proud."
It took three appointments to finish Sean Manaea's intricate and symbolic Samoan tattoos.

It would be hard for Manaea to forget his heritage. All he has to do is look down at his right (non-throwing) arm. It is covered with Samoan tattoos from his shoulder to his wrist.
“My tats are a symbol of my (Samoan) culture. They are part of who I am. I’ve very proud of them," said Manaea, who was born and raised in a one-stoplight town in Indiana.

“I just have no tat that’s all connected. It’s broken up into three different time periods. The first one I did (upper arm) was in American Samoa, the first time I went out there. Me, my mom and dad went out there three years ago. And then December of ’14, I drove out to California, saw my agent, and got my chest done. And then this past offseason, we just did my forearm. So basically three sessions.”

Manaea may never pitch a game this well again. A no-hitter is a rare feat.

“It’s a big stepping stone, but the season is still young and I’ve got a lot more starts,” Manaea told the Eastbay Times. “I don’t really plan on changing anything, just doing the same preparation routines and getting ready for the next start. Have the fun moments now and soak it all in, but tomorrow is a new day and I’ve got to get ready.”

In the meantime, he'll take the time to savor the game he last pitched.
________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment