Saturday, March 17, 2018

Transgender Filipina makes history on NBC's 'The Voice'

Angel Bonilla made it through the Blind Auditions of 'The Voice.'

A LITTLE BIT of history was made last March 5 when The Voice had its first transgender contestant sing for a spot in the competition.

Angel Bonilla, a 31-year old Filipina/American, sang an emotional version of the Sam Smith track “Lay Me Down.” That was enough for three-time winning coach Adam Levine to turn his chair around and asked her to join his team fon the next round of the competition.

“As early as five years old, I already knew that I am a girl trapped in a boy’s body,”Bonilla told host Carson Daly. “Growing up in a very conservative family, it was very difficult for my father.”

“When my dad saw me as a girl for the first time, he was puzzled," she continued. "He’s not sure if I am his son, but he embraced me. I promised him that I will do great things. I wanted my father to be proud of me, and I’m doing this to honor him.”

According to her Voice bio, by the time she was 16-years old, Angel had transitioned into a beautiful young woman, and her family moved to the United States a few years later. Angel currently lives in Los Angeles, pursuing her dreams.

It's not the first time she's been in the spotlight. Bonillal also competed on Season 1 of The X Factor where she made it to Boot Camp with a cover of "Killing Me Softly." Earlier, she competed in Bulgaria's Discovery International Pop Song Festival.

Now she's on The Voice.

"The Voice is a great platform," she said. "I will be judged by my voice for the first time in my life! In most cases I am judged by my gender first, before I sing. And also I'd like to represent the trans community. I want to encourage my fellow sisters(transgender) to fight for their dreams."


The Voice airs on NBC Mondays and Tuesdays, 8 p.m. EST.
_____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment