Saturday, December 16, 2017

Is The Rock serious about running for President?

SCREEN CAPTURE / YOUTUBE
In a spoof on Saturday Night Live, Dwayne Johnson made fun of his presidential ambitions.

ALL KIDDING ASIDE, it sounds like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is now seriously considering a run for President.

What started out as a lark, as he went along with the inside joke with his legion of fans, now appears to be taking a serious turn. In an interview with Movieweb, he sounded more presidential than our current White House occupant.
"It all started out of the blue...It was never something that I trumpeted and beat my chest and ever said publicly, 'This is what I'm going to do,' but as that story picked up, Americans picked it up and there was this sentiment of, 'We're not joking, and we would really love the idea if you would run.' In that, I knew I had to listen to the people and really, really think about it. That's where I'm at right now, I'm well aware politics is not the business I'm in, so the best thing I can do is continuing to listen and learn as much as I can. I'm continuing to watch our presidency and watch how every new development is handled. I continue to watch our leaders in government, and like all Americans, I continue to be hopeful that our leaders exhibit poise, perspective and the ability to bring our country together during these tough times, which I don't feel our presidency is currently doing, so that's where I'm at."
The wildly popular Samoan/American said that he has movie projects that he's committed to that will rule out a run in 2020, but 2024 may be a better bet.

An entertainment figure running for President of the U.S. might seem far fetched but it is not without precedent. Ronald Reagan, former actor and at one time president of the Screen Actors Guild, is a Example No. 1. But at least he served as California's governor first to gain some experience.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar became governor of California and only the Constitution prevented him from running for President, not that he didn't consider it. He become President, one has to be born a U.S. citizen. Arnold was born in Austria and became a naturalized citizen.

Donald Trump had zero experience in elected office when he pulled off the upset of the century against Hillary Clinton.

Unlike the current U.S. leader, Johnson said he would be a uniter, not a divider.

"I think this is just a product of my DNA, in that when there's an issue, that's the time we have to come together, work hard to understand each other and ultimately get to a better place," said Johnson.

"For example, when it's a polarizing issue like our NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem, that's not a time to be divisive and shut them out of the White House. It's the time to actually open the doors and bring those players in so our President and staff can understand exactly what the needs are, face to face, so change and positive progress can happen, but that's not happening right now."

So, is this simply a publicity stunt for the media-savvy Johnson? Or, is this the result of an egomaniac listening to a bunch of sycophants. A lot can happen between now and 2024. As we saw in 2016, stranger things have happened.

Paperwork has already been filed with the Federal Election Commission by some of his fans on behalf of the action-movie star for a campaign entitled "Run the Rock 2020." 

"I care deeply about our country, and I care deeply about our people, especially now.," said Johnson. "Decency matters and being a decent human being matters, and character matters, and leadership matters."

Sounds pretty presidential. Stay tuned.
________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment