Thursday, November 16, 2017

Racist rant on commuter train caught on video

An Asian man was attacked by a deranged racist on a commuter train.

A disturbing video posted to YouTube of an Asian man being verbally abused and assaulted has sparked an investigation by police, and outrage by some viewers of the video.

The shocking incident happened on a commuter train of the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Monday night (Nov. 13) in the San Francisco Bay Area. At 10:10 p.m., at least three riders called police dispatch regarding the disturbance.

The video taken by a fellow rider shows a suspect standing and yelling racial slurs at a man sitting. At one point, the suspect slaps the victim's face. During the ordeal, some riders came to the victim's defense while others walked away.


After being slapped, the Asian man stood up as if to defend himself, when a woman intervened by stepping between the two men, apparently to deescalate what could have been a more violent situation .

On Reddit, a poster with the handle "In JH We Trust," claiming to be the victim said that he attracted the racist's attention when he protested the suspect's use of the N-word. He wrote:
OK so I'm half hoping noone sees this. That's me he is "harassing". This started because the old man was yelling the Nword repeatedly and noone was doing or saying a damn thing about it. I told him to stop talking repeatedly and that's what's caused him to start yelling at me. I am both proud and embarrassed that I didn't hit him.
OP you were sitting with another Asian dude behind me, there was another Asian couple standing who didn't say anything and after he got off Bart at Union City I asked for Hand sanitizer

Edit: I am extremely grateful to the woman for stopping me I was 5 seconds from doing something stupid.

Edit 2: Anyone know Ellen? And just for clarification my username stands for In Jim Harbaugh We Trust.

Edit 3: Yay gold!!! Thanks to all of you for the kindness. I'm terrible at taking positivity and kind words so I will say thanks to you all. Honestly, I just had enough and didn't want to hear his voice. In hindsight it was probably dumb as he could have had a weapon but I did what I thought was right. I guess I will say stand up for those around you but be smart and safe about it.

Edit: 4x gold!!! The joke I wish I had made: Sir! Sir! Did you have your Snickers today?


According to BART officials, the transit police responded and boarded the train but they were unable to locate the suspect.

BART officials called the incident "deplorable" and "unfortunate," but commended the riders who called police and voiced support for the victim without physically intervening. However, on Wednesday, it was reported by the East Bay Times that BART police said they will not arrest the man because the victim has decided not to press charges.

If you recognize the suspect in Monday night's incident, call BART police investigations at (510) 464-7040.


The hate incident occurred the same day a report was released by the Department of Justice showing that hate crimes continue to increase.

The hate crimes recorded last year included nine murders and 24 rapes, the report said. Of the 5,770 known offenders, 46 percent were white and 26 percent were African/American.
_______________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment