Saturday, September 23, 2017

AAPI Athletes: 'The Filipino Flash' defending his boxing crown

Filipino American boxer Nonito Donaire is back in the ring.

NONITO DONAIRE, JR., aka "The Filipino Flash," is fighting tonight (Sept. 23) to defend his WBC Silver Featherweight title against Mexico's Ruben Garcia Hernandez in San Antonio, Texas.

For Donaire, it will be the first time back in the ring since losing his WBO super-bantamweight crown to Jessie Magdaleno in Las Vegas in November of last year.

Donaire (37-4, 24 KOs) is scheduled to take on Ruben Garcia Hernandez (22-2-1, 9 KOs) in the co-main event of a 12-bout card at the Alamodome’s Illusions Theater.


During the weigh-in held Friday, Donaire, 34, came in at 125.5 pounds, while Garcia Hernandez weighed in at 126 pounds. 
"The second half of my career is going to be an explosion," said Donaire, who holds titles in five different weight divisions. "It’s going to be an amazing ride and everyone is going to see great fights. You know I’ll get in there with anybody."
He has in his sights a rematch with Magdaleno. Magdalena has reneged on his promise to give Donaire an immediate rematch and called the Filipino Flash a sore loser.

Donaire said he never expected Magdaleno to turn arrogant so soon after wresting the crown. In a social media rant, Magdaleno said, “I don’t need to fight you right now, I don’t need anything from you, dude … I can get better paydays from other great potential fighters … there are bigger and better matches than you … you’re old now, everyone sees it.” 



The Filipino/American fighter, who trains in the San Francisco Bay Area, said, “I’m ready to destroy everybody in my path. That’s the game plan. I want to get back to that world title shot. I will happily fight anybody for that shot to reclaim my place at the top of the division."
_______________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment