Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Woman dies from a toxic Chinatown tea

Some teas are made of a combination of herbs.
ASAM NEWS
A WOMAN who purchased tea blended with the ingredient aconite in San Francisco Chinatown has died of poisoning, reports ABC7.

Yu-Ping Xie, 56, is one of two people who became seriously ill after purchasing the tea on separate occasions from the Sun Wing Wo Trading Co.

The other victim in his 30s has since recovered and is no longer hospitalized.

All the tea containing aconite has been removed from Sun Wing Wo by the San Francisco Health Department.

Aconite is a common ingredient in Asian herbal medicine and is considered safe if rendered properly, according to SF Gate.

Similar problems with aconite blends have not been reported from other shops.

###