Monday, September 28, 2015

Jason Day stumbles in bid for golf world's top crown


JASON DAY's reign as golf's No. 1 player lasted a week.

The Filipino/Australian finished third in the FedEx Cup standings, but his short-lived reign at number one ended as he slipped to number two in the world. The new No. 1 is American 

Jordon Spieth, who won the FedEx cup at East Lake Golf Club for his fifth win of the season, including the Masters and U.S. Open.

Jason Day vows a stronger effort next year.

Day fired a final-round 68 to finish in a tie for 10th place at the Tour Championship, eight shots behind Spieth, who finished at 9-under-par overall after carding a 69 for the round.

Spite admitted he got shaky looking over his shoulder as Day put on one of the best performances of the year. "I got frustrated. I missed two cuts in a row, had never done that, lost the number one ranking. I was watching Jason Day just dominate golf," said Spieth.

"I got to work, put my head down a little more than I did right after the PGA, knowing that we could still peak this week and that's what we did."


"It's something that I'm still trying to learn, how to back up a win with another win, or at least the same level of play," Day told the Australian media.

"It would have been nice to kind of challenge for that FedExCup win but overall it's something that I just need to look back on and work harder for next year.

"It's been a good year. To be able to win the PGA Championship, and then also to get to No.1 has been a life-long dream of mine," Day said.




"It was always a goal of mine, whether I got to No.1 for a week or whether I get there for 300 weeks. I was the best player in the world. I felt it for the most part of this summer.

"Now that it's over, I'm looking forward to getting some rest, really trying to take care of my body in the off-season to come back as a new person and a lot more motivated, a lot more hungry, to stay on top of the world."


Day will head the International team in the Presidents Cup battle with the US in South Korea in a fortnight's time before he shuts down for the birth of his second child and another rigorous strength and conditioning phase.

He plans to return to competitive golf in December ready to resume the fight to be the best.

"I want to be more of a dominant player and I want to be at the top of the world ranking list for a long, long time," he said.

"I know how hard I had to work this year, so I have got to work extra hard next year."

###

No comments:

Post a Comment