Friday, July 10, 2015

TGIF FEATURE: I'm Asian, but I'm not ...

AHHH, stereotypes! How they haunt us.

We do our best to break through the stereotypical impressions have of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. We all want to be seen as individuals, to stand out, to be ... unique.

So, whenever I can, I deliberately go out of the way to go against the Asian stereotype. If you're Asian, no further explanation is necessary for the following:

I'm a good driver (but, that's a matter of opinion. and I'm not overly cautious.

I almost always give the maximum tip to waiters, valets and cabbies.

I deliberately make mistakes in math.

I actually appreciate and like art of all kinds.

I shave my head rather than display my bad Asian hair.

I cook a lot so I air out my house frequently.

I studied martial arts, but - shhh- it's not something I talk about.

I will not settle for a bad table in a restaurant.

I prefer quiet, understated humor.

I don't play violin or classical piano.

I'd rather be a writer than a doctor or a business owner.

I will not put up being ignored.

I will not remain quiet if I see an injustice. 

Thanks to Buzzfeed for another of their video series on Asian Americans trying hard - sometimes awkwardly - to fit in, but at the same time, be individuals.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment