Tuesday, February 17, 2015

RIP Leslie Gore: Feminist, activist, singer, song writer


I GREW UP in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I know, I know - that's a lot of growing up. I like to believe that I'm still growing.

Singer/writer Leslie Gore died Monday (Feb. 16), She was 68. 


Her death spurred memories of her hits but first, I couldn't help but remember a new version of her 1964 hit."You Don't Own Me." She first came out with the song in 1964 and at the time, with the limited perspective of a high-schooler, I didn't think of it as an ode to progressive feminism. However, when Gore approved this version (below) in 2012, the song took on an entirely new and powerful meaning.

"Oh, I don't tell you what to say; I don't tell you what to do;
 So just let me be myself; That's all I ask of you."
— Lesley Gore's "You Don't Own Me"
Turns out that she has always been an activist. 
Gore died of lung cancer at New York University Langone Medical Center in Manhattan, according to her partner of 33 years, Lois Sasson.

Brooklyn-born and New Jersey-raised, Gore was discovered by Quincy Jones as a teenager and signed to Mercury Records. She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College with a degree in English/American literature.

Gore's other hits include "It's My Party" (which launched her career in 1963 and it was Quincy Jones first platinum hit as a producer), "She's A Fool," ''Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows," ''That's the Way Boys Are" and "Maybe I Know." She co-wrote with her brother, Michael, the Academy Award-nominated "Out Here On My Own" from the film "Fame."

She officially came out to the public when she hosted several episodes of the PBS series, "In The Life," which dealt with gay and lesbian issues. Her partner of 33 years, Lois Sasson, told the Associated Press, "She was a wonderful human being — caring, giving, a great feminist, great woman, great human being, great humanitarian."

She also said that in spite of the music business being "totally homophobic," she never felt she had to pretend she was straight.

"I just kind of lived my life naturally and did what I wanted to do," she said. "I didn't avoid anything, I didn't put it in anybody's face."


Most of us may not have hit records on our resume but In our own little ways, as we try to impact the corner of the world we live in, we can all be activists.

RIP, Leslie, you had a greater impact on lives than you can imagine. And since its our party, too, we'll cry if we want to.



No comments:

Post a Comment